Gators don't sweat.

Friday, October 14, 2005

We want the funk!

Hey, did anyone else catch the cool P-funk documentary on PBS this week? It was a great film. I must admit that after Scorsese's Massive four hour Bob Dylan doc that aired a couple weeks back, an hour seemed to be too little time to properly tell the epic tale of Geroge Clinton and Parliment/Funkadelic, but nevertheless, it was an entertaining film with several new bits of history that I hadn't ever heard before. If you did miss it it appears to be airing again in Chicago on Sunday morning at 3AM on WTTW. Set you VCRs (or DVRs if you'r a fancy pants.)

I still remember the first time I heard Parliment. Delancey's mom was gone, and he had a New Year's party at his house. I remember sitting in his room at the back of the house in low light and listening to a couple CDs (cassettes, maybe even) that Dan Bass had brought over; Pretty Hate Machine and The Mothership Connection. After that our high school parties had a bit more funking going on and a bit less Smashes, Trashes, and Hits. The funk has been with me ever since...

2 Comments:

  • I saw it!!! It was great, and unexpected since I had never seen a commercial for it or anything. Your post reminded me of the funk parties of old, I can't say it any better or funnier than you did, I'll just agree....we never did listen to "Let's Put the X in Sex" ever EVER again, thank god!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:39 PM  

  • Almost two months since your last post? Bad, bad blogger.

    By Blogger Lobstar, at 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home