Gators don't sweat.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

A missed opportunity on so many levels

This morning as I descended down into the Logan Square El Station, I noticed that the platform was a bit more crowded than usual. Bunched up at the bottom of the stairs, was a group of about 40 or fifty people, mostly sporting white T-shirts. As I wandered to my train awaiting spot, I read the back of the shirt something about families losing jobs, but then I read closer. The back of the shirts read, "1000 FAMILIES LOOSING THERE JOBS". I literally did a double take.

Then I remembered that I had left my camera at home! Arrrgh!

I noticed several things in rapid succession. First of all, The front of their shirts read "OPEN THE MEGAMALL" and underneath, in smaller print, "Remember Election Day". Then I realized that at least half of the gathered crowd was Asian, it was certainly an atypical site in mostly Hispanic Logan Square. As the Blue Line will take you right down to City Hall, I figured they were protesting the closing of the Mega Mall.

Anyone that knows me knows that I have much love for the Super Discount Mega Mall. I want to see it open, and I want to be able to buy baseball hats, batteries, shoes, belts, churros, and rims, but couldn't help but wondering if they were doing more harm then good. The Mega Mall was shut down for building code violations. Frankly, that doesn't surprise me all that much, it is after all, about three-five buildings opened up and connected together, and it does appear to be a bit run down.

If you have 1000 families who's jobs hinge on this, wouldn't "there" time be better spent trying to bring the building up to code, than protesting? I mean, bless 'em, cuz their hearts are in the right place, but I hope this doesn't just make things worse...

Needless to say, if you see a one of these shirts in the Thrift store (thriftnlove I'm looking at you), get me a big 'un.

3 Comments:

  • is it 1000 families or 100 families?
    not much difference if thier heading in the wrong direction though...
    i agree, they should try and bring the community together to bring the place up to code.
    Much better use of thier collective resources.
    Unless of course, theres some other reason besides the code violations...
    im sure if the city was diligent enough they could close down 70% of the places that are currently open, be it mini malls or resturaunts.

    p.s.
    REMEMBER YOUR CAMERA DAMNIT!

    By Blogger wouldpkr, at 11:10 AM  

  • 1000, I was typing carelessly as usual. I'm sure there's people who would rather see this huge lot be covered in condos, and that could be behind this, but a lot of the citations were things like blocked exits, exits with locks that need to be open in the case of emergencies and facade damage that could probably be taken care of, the mold infestation on the other hand might be more difficult.

    By Blogger E, at 11:24 AM  

  • Thanks for the Mega Mall update! I walked by and saw the facade covered with netting and the sidewalk with a scaffolding roof and figured out what a couple of the 100+ code violations were. I still want to see the mall open again though and hope that they can fix all those violations. I'm sure there is some genuine safety issues with the building. I also wouldn't be surprised if the sudden shutdown was caused by a tipoff by some developer eying that large piece of property and thinking how much money there is to be made. That's just speculation on my part. I just want the place open because I don't know where I can get custom made hats, airbrushed shirts and all the other wonderful shiny things that are under one room. As far as malls go, this one has got CHARACTER and not the type created by a bunch of ad execs brainstorming around a conference table.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home