Gators don't sweat.

Thursday, June 09, 2005

New York, NY it's a helluva town

Stereogum pointed out this list of free shows in NYC this summer. I don't know if I'm going to have any New York readers here aside from my lovely cousin, Elizabeth, but just in case I'm going to post a list of some of my picks I sent her this morning. Anyone want to road trip to NY to see the MC5 and the Sun Ra Arkestra?

I saw the link [above] last night and immediately started drooling. There's so much good stuff happening in your fine city I may have to road trip out to hit at least one ofthese shows...

Some of my picks (followed by my commentary):

Friday, June 17: Will Calhoun presents AZA, featuring Pharaoh Sanders, Graham Haynes, Buster Williams and Orrin Evans with Burnt Sugar and Greg Tate. Central Park Summerstage, 7 p.m. - Pharaoh Sanders was one of John Coltrane's sidemen, also playing (usually Tenor) Sax back in the day, when Trane was signed to Impulse and doing some of the most interesting jazz music out there. Pharoah is a bit older now, and I've seen him do standards as well as some of the more pshycedelic-type jazz he helped bring to the fore in the '60s. Should be great.

Friday, June 24: Soulive and Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra, Prospect Park Bandshell, Park Slope, Brooklyn, 7:30 p.m. $3 suggested donation. Celebratebrooklyn.org - Solive is a SF funk outfit. I haven't really heard too much of their stuff, but I know some folks who really dig it. Antibalas on the other hand, rocks my world. They're a big band playing funky afropop that I really think many folks would appreciate. Highly Reccomended.

Friday, July 8: Missy Elliot. Bryant Park, 6-9 a.m. It's Missy. Nuff said.

Thursday, July 14: Ozomatli and Pacha. Prospect Park Bandshell, Park Slope,
Brooklyn, 7:30 p.m. $3 suggested donation. - Ozomatli is basically a socially conciouss latin funk/rock group with a DJ and a rapper. I've seen them live afew times, and they're playing the Folk & Roots festival here in ChiIL this summer, and I'm quite looking forward to it. They like to come out into the crowd and jam on their horns for a bit as an encore. Great fun!

Sunday, July 17: Femi Kuti and Brazilian Girls. Central Park Summerstage, 3 p.m.- I've been really into Fela Kuti lately. Fela was a huge name in African Music, he pioneered the "afropop" sound of funky African rhythms merged with american funk and pop. Many of his albums have been re-released in the past few years since his death and are well worth seeking (or soulseeking) out. His son Femi has also been touring with his father's band and keeping the legacy alive. The Brazilian Girls are not Brazilian and only 25%female, but they crank out the chilled out bossa and lounge sounds for hipsters. I dig the album, but Femi is the real draw here. Again, Highly recommended!

Saturday, July 30: MC5, The Sun Ra Arkestra, Suphala and DJ Spooky. Central Park Summerstage, 3 p.m. - This is such a cool bill. This is one of those shows thattempts me to get out there. MC5 is a legendary Detroit (post-? proto-?) Punk band. Sun Ra died a few years back, but he was without a doubt the greatest "Space Jazz" character and band leader ever, and the Arkestra doesn't really play that often anymore. For me this would be the highlight. DJ Spooky's pretty cool as well. This is the big one!

Sunday, August 7: M.I.A. with Diplo and special guests and DJ Rekha. Central Park Summerstage, 3 p.m. - I just saw M.I.A. play Chicago. She's a Sri Lankan rapper (I suppose) with all kinds of great beats. Her album Arular is one of my favorite of the year so far. She's just too cool, and I think she's gonna be huge! I love this woman and this show will probably be quite bananas!

And all that's without mentioning Kanye, Out Hud, Son Volt, Northern State, or Calexico. So much cool free music. I mean, There's aton of stuff in chicago this summer (Lollapalooza, Intonation, Summerdance (starting in just less than two weeks. Yay!), the aforementioned Folk & Roots Festival, and so much more, but I still feel like we're always gonna be the second city.

1 Comments:

  • Aforementioned lovely cousin Elizabeth would like to point out that "anyone wanting a roadtrip" will need to contact Hotel Chez Arlette in advance for reservations due to popularity of destitation location! And rabbit allergies... And since we've already had more days in one month of over-90 degree weather than we had all of last summer, be prepared - Chez Arlette is sweltering in the summer... : )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home