Gators don't sweat.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Lollapalooza & The Lincoln:You're killin' me today!

Well, even though I've had Intonation on the brain this week, there's other news in the Chicago summer music festival world today as Lollapalooza announces a couple more acts and, perhaps more importantly, the schedule of events. I think we all know going in that scheduling conflicts are pretty much inevitable for any large multi-stage festival. I remember having to choose between Ice Cube & Jim Rose's Circus sideshow at the second Lollapalooza many, many moons ago, but this year they're killing me.

There's a few choices that are somewhat easy to make with only a wee bit of regret (Ween vs. Death Cab? Sorry, Ben.), and a few that are mildly difficult (Be Your Own Pet or Sa-Ra? Fiest or The Go! Team? Coheed & Cambria or Built to Spill?) , but the head to head match-up that's really got my knickers in a twist is Gnarls vs. Sonic Youth. I mean, Gnarls will probably win out in the end, but why must I choose? It also seems like all the hometown heroes have been lined up against other heavy hitters as well (Queens of the Stone Age vs Wilco, Flaming Lips vs. Common, and Manu Chao vs. Kanye.) While I'm not too torn up to miss Common, I think Wilco & Kanye are gonna have to get kicked to the curb. That is, unless the sun is so bright that I need to take cover in the shade of Kayne's ego.

One decision you can avoid if you're free tonight is Calexico vs. Lyrics Born. Intonation isn't the only game in town this weekend. We've also got Pride (Irene Cara, y'all!), the Cans Anniversary Party featuring Tone Loc and Flock of Seagulls, and MOBfest which kicks off tonight at the Abbey Pub with a show featuring Lyrics Born, Verbal Kent, Earatik Statik, Skitzophonic, and DJ LA*Jesus. If you see DJ LAJC, tell him you think he's sacrilegious, he loves that!

The other bad news today is that Chicagoist is reporting that the "Big Head" Lincoln restaurant has been shut down for health code violations of the ratty kind. It's a shame, but much like the esteemed staff over at Chicagoist, I doubt that I'll stop eating there once they're back in business. I loves me some O'Brien Potatoes with my Stonewall Jackson. Besides, recent studies prove that dirty filthy rats are actually healthier that the domestic variety since their immune system gets a better workout. There's your excuse to go back to The Lincoln right there!

7 Comments:

  • You hit the nail on the head as far as what bothers me about the big festivals.

    I think I'm still spoiled from comp tickets of years past, but I can't talk myself into paying for an all-day ticket when there's only about an hour or two of performances I care to see or support. It also means buying overpriced concessions all day long, which is another thing I just can't stomach.

    But I suppose the festivals are the only way you can catch any of these bands on a weekend -- most of the festival bands only play on weekdays in Chicago anymore, and usually start much later than the posted start time (especially at Empty Bottle).

    Okay, I'm just disappointed in the whole concert scene. I don't feel like I should have to agree to a day's commitment just to support a couple bands. It doesn't feel like it's about the music; it feels more like it's about paying to stand in the right crowd on the right day.

    I'm sympathetic to your multi-stage dilemma, I must say. I'm just avoiding the whole thing, because the second I'm disappointed at a show I always wish I'd stayed home to work on my own music instead.

    By Blogger PYLB, at 3:50 PM  

  • "It doesn't feel like it's about the music; it feels more like it's about paying to stand in the right crowd on the right day. "

    That, and getting toasted. Nicely toasted.

    By Blogger E, at 4:00 PM  

  • Hell yeah, that goes without saying.

    By Blogger PYLB, at 5:06 PM  

  • Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Kanye, but even if I held him in the same esteem as Manu Chao, Manu hasn't played in the States in years.

    By Blogger E, at 2:02 PM  

  • Well, you wouldn't have to go to Europe, he's doing a handfull of shows on the west coast just before Lollapalooza, and playing NY afterwards. Search for him on Pollstar.com if you want the dates.

    Of course, if you're not willing to leave the Chi, you should check out Amadou & Miriam in the Millennium Park bandshell next Thurs.

    He produced thier album and was very hands on about it, as far as I know.

    http://tinyurl.com/rcn6d

    By Blogger E, at 2:15 PM  

  • I must be the only person on the north side that has never eaten at the Lincoln. I too have some Lolla conflicts, not the same as yours though. Just give me my Wolfmother at 12:30 to get things going! Wish the tickets cost less, but I think these big festivals are a lot of fun, meeting and hanging with new folks, enjoying the day with a beer in the hand.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

  • I just can't resist Lincolns Big Head...

    I'm with you on Wolfmother. They're not my favorite band, but I expect them to put on one of the more impressive performances at Lollapalooza...

    By Blogger E, at 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home